Information about accessibility in the studies of Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences and the practices related to accessibility can be found on the Intranet: Information for International Staff and Students> Student counselling and Consultation Services-> Accessibility.
Foreign students with a disability planning to study at Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences should contact the personnel at the International Affairs Office in advance for information about the facilities available for studies and accommodation.
Reading difficulties in language and communications teaching
The staff of Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences strives to take students with a reading disability into account, especially in language and communication subjects. If a student has been diagnosed with a reading disability occurring in the studies of one or more languages, we recommend that the student give a specialist statement to the Faculty student counsellor. This way, the school will be able to provide special arrangements, especially at examinations related to language and communication courses.
Instead of modifying the assessment of students with a reading disability, teachers strive to facilitate examination arrangements in the following ways:
- Allowing students extra time to take an examination
- Offering students the chance to take an examination somewhere where they will not be disturbed
- Allowing the students to take a break between the different parts of an examination
- Allowing students to supplement their examination with an oral test (esp. foreign language tests)
- Allowing students to do their examination on a computer if writing with a pen/pencil proves to be too difficult/tiring
Teachers and students agree together on the special arrangements for taking an examination. To be entitled to these special arrangements, students must provide the school with a statement from a specialist as proof of their reading disability. The statement may be written by a special education teacher or neuro-psychologist.